Tutorial - Create the Original Windows Virtual Machine
First, you need to create the original Windows virtual machine.
Access the Vmware web interface.
Open a browser software, enter the IP address of your Vmware ESXi server and access web interface.
On the prompt screen, enter the administrative login information.
After a successful login, the Vmware dashboard will be displayed.
On the Vmware Dashboard, Access the Virtual Machines menu Menu.
Click on the Create / Register VM button.
On the Vmware creation assistant, select the following options:
• Compatibility - ESXI 6.7 Virtual Machine
• Guest OS Family - Windows
• Guest OS Version - Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (64 bits)
In our example, we are installing a new Windows server 2012 R2 virtual machine.
Next, select the datastore where the virtual machine should be created.
On the Setting customization screen, you need to change the following configuration:
• CD/DVD Drive - Host device
• Status - Connect at power on.
Finish the Virtual machine creation assistant.
Insert the Windows installation CD/DVD on the Vmware ESXi driver.
Turn on the new Virtual Machine.
The system should start automatically a new operating system installation.
Perform a regular Windows installation.
At the end of this process, you will have a clean installation of a new Windows virtual machine.
Tutorial - Customize the Windows Virtual Machine
Now, you need to customize the Windows virtual machine to fit your needs:
• Perform the installation of Windows updates - We recommend the installation of all Windows updates.
• Perform the installation of desired software - install at least 7-ZIP, Chrome, PDF reader, and antivirus.
• Perform the modification of Windows settings - We recommend that you enable the remote access.
• Clean the Trash and delete the temporary files.
After finishing the customization, restart the Windows virtual machine.
Tutorial - Create the Windows Template using Sysprep
After finishing all the customizations desired, you need to Run the Sysprep Application.
Sysprep is a tool created by Microsoft to prepare a Windows installation to become a template.
We are going to use the Sysprep tool to prepare this computer to become a Windows template.
Caution! The Sysprep tool has the potential to cause loss of data.
Open the Windows Explorer and access the following folder:
On the Sysprep application screen, perform the following configuration:
• System Cleanup Action - Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)
• Generalize - Yes
• Shutdown Options - Shutdown
Click on the Ok button to start the process.
After finishing the process, your computer will shutdown automatically.
Caution! Do not turn on this computer anymore.