In our example, we have 1 LAN interface and 2 WAN interfaces.
Both WAN interfaces are using DHCP IP address.
Access the Pfsense System menu and select the Routing option.
In our example, the Pfsense firewall has 2 WAN Gateways.
Access the Gateway groups tab and click on the Add button.
On the Gateway group screen, perform the following configurations:
• Group Name - Enter an identification to the WAN group
• Gateway Priority WAN1 - Tier 1
• Gateway Priority WAN2 - Tier 2
• Trigger Level - Packet Loss or High Latency
• Description - Optionally enter a description
Click on the Save button to finish the Gateway group configuration.
Access the Gateways tab, locate the Default gateway area and perform the following configuration:
• Default gateway IPv4 - Select the Gateway group name created before
Click on the Save button and then on the Apply button.
If a WAN gateway packet Loss thresholds reach 20%, the link will be considered down.
If a WAN gateway Latency thresholds reach 500ms, the link will be considered down.
If the first WAN link is considered down, the Pfsense will automatically shift to the second WAN link.
Congratulations! You have finished the pfsense WAN failover configuration.