In our example, we have 1 LAN interface and 2 WAN interfaces.
Both WAN interfaces are using DHCP IP address.
Access the Pfsense System menu and select the Routing option.
In our example, the Pfsense firewall has 2 WAN Gateways.
Access the Gateway groups tab and click on the Add button.
On the Gateway group screen, perform the following configurations:
• Group Name - Enter an identification to the WAN group
• Gateway Priority WAN1 - Tier 1
• Gateway Priority WAN2 - Tier 1
• Trigger Level - Packet Loss or High Latency
• Description - Optionally enter a description
Click on the Save button to finish the Gateway group configuration.
When you select the same TIER level to both links the load-balancing feature will be enabled.
Access the Gateways tab, locate the Default gateway area and perform the following configuration:
• Default gateway IPv4 - Select the Gateway group name created before
Click on the Save button and then on the Apply button.
If a WAN gateway packet Loss thresholds reach 20%, the link will be considered down.
If a WAN gateway Latency thresholds reach 500ms, the link will be considered down.
Congratulations! You have finished the pfsense WAN failover configuration.